Login Register

Tracking your progress

I've seen some programmers be very methodical while others just jump in, and the stages blend together but by the end, they have a working program and a finished project. So when you have a project to build upon, how do you go about it?
Do you have well-defined stages for it? Do you divide your time and set out goals to be achieved by certain dates?

Are you meticulous and very organised? Do you even use applications to help you track things?

[Image: o5yft0.jpg]

Organization is the #1 killers of artists and developers alike. Programming wise, I get it functional, clean up the code and if something breaks I power off my machine, take out my HDD, drive to the river, push my car into the river and drive my HDD to the corner of OH FUCK and ME.

(12-06-2016, 08:10 AM)Death Wrote: Organization is the #1 killers of artists and developers alike. Programming wise, I get it functional, clean up the code and if something breaks I power off my machine, take out my HDD, drive to the river, push my car into the river and drive my HDD to the corner of OH FUCK and ME.

Couldn't put it better myself.
However, development wise I tend to use something like a Gantt chart to help break down what I am doing, and when it should be completed by. 
This helps me to track project progress.

Though I suppose it depends on the project. Things like Trello are very useful for me! Smile

Create a brighter future
[Image: pwg86Hx.png]
"To live a creative life, we must first lose our fear of being wrong"

I find this quite interesting as one of the usual constructive criticism I'd get at school was about how messy my working area is. i basically will use every bit of space I can and I rather use printer paper than a notebook to jot down ideas and initial pseudo-code fragments and stuff.

Drawing or writing I am not better organised either and I tend to beat myself up about it since most of creative friends seem all to be so... impeccable with the way they keep their spaces and materials.

[Image: o5yft0.jpg]

(12-06-2016, 04:47 PM)Kaynil Wrote: I find this quite interesting as one of the usual constructive criticism I'd get at school was about how messy my working area is. i basically will use every bit of space I can and I rather use printer paper than  a notebook to jot down ideas and initial pseudo-code fragments and stuff.

Drawing or writing I am not better organised either and I tend to beat myself up about it since most of creative friends seem all to be so... impeccable with the way they keep their spaces and materials.

I wouldn't beat yourself up.
Schools I find tend not to allow creative flare. Having a lot of ideas to jot down is a good thing.
Paper choice is an interesting one though, most of those I know tend to use whatever they have at the time. Might I ask what the preference with printer paper is all about?

Create a brighter future

Basically, we use Jira to track bugs, features, improvements and tasks. Things that need to be done - no matter what they are - are put into one of several Jira projects. This allows us to assign things and allows us to be accountable, internally, for what's happening.

(12-08-2016, 10:44 PM)Ben Cousins Wrote: Basically, we use Jira to track bugs, features, improvements and tasks. Things that need to be done - no matter what they are - are put into one of several Jira projects. This allows us to assign things and allows us to be accountable, internally, for what's happening.

Never heard of Jira but I'll certainly check it out, thanks.

I use Trello for a lot of things, not just projects. It's an extremely useful tool.

(12-09-2016, 01:26 AM)Wage Wrote:
(12-08-2016, 10:44 PM)Ben Cousins Wrote: Basically, we use Jira to track bugs, features, improvements and tasks. Things that need to be done - no matter what they are - are put into one of several Jira projects. This allows us to assign things and allows us to be accountable, internally, for what's happening.

Never heard of Jira but I'll certainly check it out, thanks.

I use Trello for a lot of things, not just projects. It's an extremely useful tool.

Jira is actually a very decent tool, which sadly I tend not to use as much anymore. I might use it for future developments of Creators Wave though.

Create a brighter future

I just go with the flow. Programming is like writing a book, you can always change the plot.

(12-24-2016, 02:59 AM)Blessings Wrote: I just go with the flow. Programming is like writing a book, you can always change the plot.

Do you not track things as you cross them off, though?

Create a brighter future